University of California, Riverside
College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
Social Relations Program
Search Faculty/Staff
UCR Seal
UCR Seal

About Us


Academic Programs


News and Events



Academic Programs

Undergraduate Programs


Degree Requirements

Undergraduate Research and Special Studies

Social Relations majors find many opportunities to take part in internship programs with social services agencies. Among these programs are internships with agencies focused on juvenile delinquency, teenage pregnancy, homelessness, domestic violence, and drug addiction. Students also may receive research grants to conduct research projects in community research or community service. Undergraduates have access to the extensive computer facilities on campus for use in their studies.

University Honors Program

The University Honors Program offers lower-division courses taught by distinguished faculty and introduces undergraduates to the challenges and rewards of scholarship and research from the beginning of their undergraduate careers. In the upper division, the program invites outstanding students to design and produce honors theses and projects under individual faculty supervision, through the departmental Honors Program, highly qualified students are invited to conduct a research thesis of their own initiative and design in collaboration with a faculty member. Participation in the Honors Program is the capstone of an excellent education.

Education Abroad Program (EAP)

Through the Education Abroad Program, UCR students can add an international perspective to their education by studying and living in another country while earning UC credit. The Education Abroad Program is an excellent opportunity to lean more about another country and its culture while taking long programs, a wide range of shorter options are also available. While on EAP, students are still eligible for financial assistance. Students are advised to plan study abroad well in advance so as to ensure that the courses taken fit with their overall program back at UCR. For further details see the University of California's EAP website and or contact UCR's International Services Center at 827-4113.

Academic Advising

Social Relations majors receive advising from the Chair of the Social Relations Program and from the Student Affairs Officer in the Sociology Department.

Preparing for Transfer

Students planning to transfer to UCR as a Social Relations major should:
  1. meet the UC admission requirements for transfer;
  2. complete the coursework requirements;
  3. complete the breadth requirements for UCR's College of Humanities, Arts and Social sciences, preferably by following the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum, IGETC.

Related Literature and References

UCR currently has articulation agreements with most of the California community college. These agreements list specific community college courses that have been designated as comparable to UCR courses. The articulation agreements are available at the statewide articulation Web site, or at California community colleges.

Detailed information about UCR's admission requirements is presented in the UC publications, Application for Undergraduate Admission & Scholarships, Introducing the University, and Answers for Transfers, and in the UC Riverside General Catalog. The UC publications are available at and at California high schools and community colleges. The UC Riverside General Catalog is online at and for purchase through the UCR Bookstore, (951) 827-4211.
About the College
Icon Welcome Message from the Dean

UCR CHASS News and Events
Icon UCR Events
UCR News
CHASS Events